Sunday, February 24, 2013

Weekend Wood Firing.

by 6 he meant 6 am.

all night candling.

about 30 hours into firing. somewhere around 2100 degrees farenheit.
Let me tell you about my week. It wore me completely out. It included all sorts of lovely things like a good critique, dance classes (one of which I helped teach! Eek! Fun!), crooner music, almost a whole day off classes, and this crazy 32 hour wood firing. It did, however, lack a lot of sleep. And food. And I may or may not have had a terrible sinus headache and felt sick, but it was filled with friends and excitement.

I posted a few photos of our crazy weekend. Nick was at school from 11 pm Thursday to 6 am Friday glazing his work. We started loading our kiln that same day around 2 pm. We got our fire lit around 8 and he left me to candle till 1:30 am Saturday. He came back and I went home to sleep and go to work. I got back at 2:30 pm and we finished around 2:15 am Sunday morning. I don't know how he managed to stay awake and keep firing. I managed to get about 5 hours of sleep, but was still wiped out by the end of our firing. It is tough work!

With all the craziness and discomfort that was experienced this weekend I have to say that I still feel like one of the luckiest kids in the world. How many other kids can say that they burned their homework outside under the stars for hours with their friends listening to Dean Martin, drinking coffee, and roasting marshmallows on the kiln fire? I think I've had quite a unique education. Yeah, I get really discouraged sometimes, but all in all I absolutely love what I do and can't imagine having studied anything else. I think I would have regretted it if I chose not to do art and I think I've learned a lot that I can apply to my life outside college too. I'm very grateful. And very tired. I'm calling it an early night and catching some zzzz's. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment