Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Trying to keep busy...

So summer is here. Mom and Holly are back in school for the summer. Adam and I are at home with the dogs. Adam sleeps late and likes to go off or stays in his room a lot so I'm by myself quite a bit.

Mom and I set my table up in Holly's and my room this weekend so I put my brushes and sketchbooks in here along with my new sewing machine. It is a nice little workspace. I've been working on a little assignment our grad student, Erica, gave me. She advised me to practice making straight lines and writing my alphabet with watercolors and a paintbrush while I was home for the summer. The idea is that it will improve my drawing skills when I get back and help me get more used to working with a brush which is what I use to paint my pots at school.
Oh I miss the studio! I miss having busy work to keep my hands occupied. Today I set up a netflix movie. I watched the entire Wives and Daughters movie (by Elizabeth Gaskell) while painting my alphabet and different phrases over and over and over and over....you get the picture. I'm afraid I have a weakness for historical dramas. I really enjoyed the movie. It was so sweet...and melancholy in some ways. I like that the heroine had wild, crazy, curly hair. When I was in 8th grade a friend told me that my hair was my worst feature. She had perfect, thick, straight blonde hair and I had frizzy, damaged, curly hair. For years I believed that I had terrible hair. Sometimes I still think so, but my hair and I have managed to make peace in more recent years. Sometimes I even appreciate the fact that it seems to have a mind of its own. At any rate I usually wear it up and out of my face so it doesn't really matter that much.
I took a break from writing my alphabet to do a little charcoal sketch. Then I threw in my birds and gave them a little dialogue.
You can see my alphabet behind the actual sketch. I figured I wouldn't waste the other side of the page. Art supplies are $$$ so I am trying to reuse as much as I can including painting over what I've already done.

Wish me a busier summer! I miss having a lot of human interaction!

No comments:

Post a Comment