Friday, June 3, 2011

Banana bread...gluten-free style.

The same day I made cookies I also made banana bread. I guess I felt that if I was going to bake I would go ahead and get it all done at once. Plus we had some bananas that were getting really old so I figured I'd go ahead and use them up before we had to throw them out.

The result: really good breakfast food. :)

I was not much of a banana bread person, but my roommate this past year made banana bread and very sweetly used gluten-free flour so I could share too and it won me over. Because I couldn't find a bread pan and didn't feel like making cupcakes I decided to bake this in a stoneware casserole dish. It came out flat and thin and I really liked it.

I used this recipe and tweaked it a bit to make it gluten free. The only changes I made were to use brown rice flour instead of regular wheat flour and I didn't use nuts. Plus the recipe called for self-rising flour and since I was using brown rice flour I added a 1/4 tsp of baking soda to it. I'm not sure if it did anything or not. I also used 2 bananas instead of measuring out 3/4 a cup of them. I figured the extra bananas might help to hold it together since it is gluten free. I also decreased the bake time by about 15 minutes since it was spread so thinly in a 9x13 pan.

It came out soooo good! It's dense and really moist. I like it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment