Saturday, June 8, 2013

No such thing as normal

I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as normal. Normal jobs, families, lives...I don't believe in it anymore. Sure, there are things that are more typical, more healthy, etc...but I think that rather than let this ambiguous idea of "normalcy" be a standard for living that I need to view holy as the standard for which I make decisions.

Nobody can define normal consistently. One "normal" family will look different from another "normal" family. And normalcy changes. While it was normal to grow up in a home with a mom and dad in the past, now kids frequently live in homes with one parent, divorced parents, step-parents, same-sex parents, etc. That is their normal.

So I don't really care anymore about being normal. Or pursuing what is "normal." I think I should just pursue being holy. Because if we were made in the image of God for his pleasure, then we are not living normally anyway. God is the standard. His Word is the standard. And it doesn't match my society's definitions of normal or even good.

No comments:

Post a Comment