Sunday, January 4, 2015

Last visit to the lake

 I got reeaalllly sick over the holidays. It was all I could do to get through work so I could go home and sleep most of the day away. At a certain point I got tired of that. I wanted to be able to get up and go out and do things. And I found myself missing summer and it's warmth. I loved going to the lake during the summer to watch the sunset. That was what I really wanted to do. So I bundled up, went out for some tea and chased the sunset to the lake. It really was a race there in the end as I kind of made the decision to go see the sun set one last time in 2014 a little bit late in the day. But it was the last clear day forecasted for some time so I took advantage of it and I'm very grateful that I did. It's a different kind of place in the winter. The water was high and really choppy. In the summer it feels welcoming. In the winter it seemed kind of moody. But it was still very beautiful.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm becoming less convinced. Beauty is beauty and some people will appreciate it for the many forms it takes and others will just overlook it or decide they don't like regardless. Sometimes its form is inviting and gentle while other times it is harsh and dangerous. I think that while we tend to prefer that which is gentle and inviting I can't deny that the harsher wintry version of this place is pretty stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment