Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

nut shells that look like hearts
Two years ago I was still in school. Right before Thanksgiving I stayed in town a couple of days before traveling to visit my family. That weekend I went to a little get-together at church to make decorations for the church and to a goodbye dinner for a visiting professor from China. I remember writing that my heart felt so full that weekend. I was so thankful. I loved where I was at, I loved who I was with, and I felt at home.

These past 6 months of graduation, moving, changes have been really hard and at times very painful. Everything is still uncertain, but today, on Thanksgiving, I have a little bit of that full-hearted feeling again. It's not the same exuberant-I'm-going-to-burst-I-feel-so-happy feeling. It's quieter, and more content. No matter where I am or what's going on, God has taken great care of me and given me so much and is teaching me so much. I feel more peace that whatever the future holds, at this present moment I am right where I need to be.

Some things I am grateful for today (in no particular order):
Being finished with school
Family
My new bed (which I never want to leave)
My job
Friends, old and new; near and far
Hospitality
The ability to work with my hands
Shelter
Having hope
Memories
Salvation.

That last one...it sounds cheesy and pun-like, but I truly would be lost without my faith. I've come to realize recently that I lean so heavily on Jesus. Trusting that He is good and righteous and in control. Not that I'm some amazing Christian, far from it. I take such comfort in feeling secure with my savior. I don't know how those who don't believe in God handle stress and fear. I just don't know how I would have made it through these past few months without knowing that God is with me. I struggle in my walk with Christ, but I'm so grateful that He loves me and is in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment