Sunday, January 8, 2012

get ready...get set...

Tomorrow is the first day of classes for our new semester! And although this is my 6th year of college which makes this my 12th semester I am still not exempt from having anxiety over going back. Something about knowing everything will be different and seeing old and new faces makes me jittery.
I got home to my apartment a couple of days early and did a little cleaning and sneaked in a visit with a friend. While cleaning I realized that I've amassed quite a collection of pots. And that isn't even all of them! Some were in use, in the dishwasher, holding my soap, toothbrush and other toiletries and others are unaccounted for at the moment. Some were made by me, some bought in China but most were gifted to me by friends. I love using pots made by other people. I know I've mentioned it before, but when I use a bowl or plate or cup made by a friend it makes me very nostalgic. It's nice to know that the people you cared about created and handled something and then gave it to you. That is the thing about handmade that I love so much.

I realized that I own quite a lot of pots. More than I use and more than we can comfortably fit into our cabinets along with the other dishes my roommates contributed for use. So I packed up some of the ones that were in the very back of the cabinet and picked out the ones I made that are the oldest and least used to put into the next student pottery sale and then kept the ones that were made by friends and that I most recently made. There is a lot more room in the cabinets now. Which means I can fill those spaces with new pots made this semester.

So tomorrow I'll go to my first classes. And get to go back to the studio and hopefully see some familiar faces. I went back to my church today and it was so good to see everyone there again. There were still a lot of people missing who hadn't gotten back into town yet that I'm looking forward to seeing in the next week or so.

Wish me luck for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment